PATTERN creates connections and opportunities for creatives, amplifies stories, and nurtures a culture of inclusiveness while accelerating Central Indiana’s creative economy.
PATTERN is a cultural and economic development 501c3 organization that exists to create, catalyze, and connect communities of creatives in Indianapolis and in the Midwest.
From a small group of fashion enthusiasts, PATTERN has grown into a large community of creatives working to advance their craft and city. Our nonprofit is best-known for its print magazine but its digital publication, internship & fellowship programs, events and special programs like St’ArtUp317, SUPPLY and StitchWorks have all contributed to the growth of Indy’s creative class and the city’s vibrancy.
We have a strong, recognizable brand that showcases the immense talent of local artists, while simultaneously influencing and elevating the way others view us.
Launched in 2010 as an all-volunteer organization, PATTERN’s Executive Director, Board and volunteers have accomplished an impressive amount for a small organization, creating over five millions dollars of direct economic impact.
Since our founding we have:
- Published 17 issues of Award-winning, internationally distributed PATTERN Magazine
- Hosted 100+ events, connecting over 7,500 of Indy’s top creatives, leaders and influencers
- Planned and hosted two season of St’ArtUp317, a retail pop-up initiative to bring together landlords with empty storefronts and small brands and artists. These pop-ups have resulted in collective exposure of over 50 participating artists and small business owners to over 500,000 people – citizens and visitors.
- Promoted and helped bring attention to over 5,000 different cultural events and creative entrepreneurs around Central Indiana through our print & digital magazines and social media channels
- Hosted and mentored 80+ interns from all over the state, and beyond
- Launched the PATTERN Creative Fellowship Program which has graduated five Fellows, and is currently hosting two Fellows
- Launched a Creative Services program which provides our partner clients with creative tools, and, as importantly, generates revenue for our organization while providing hands-on professional development opportunities for our Fellows and interns.
- Planned and hosted an apparel tradeshow called SUPPLY for local lifestyle and streetwear brands. Over the past three years, the tradeshow has allowed us to showcase 50+ local brands to the general public and provide the brand owners with opportunities for revenue and networking. This year’s event promises to be better than ever with an added educational component.
As PATTERN moves towards completing ten years of inclusive community-building and economic development work focused on creative entrepreneurship, the organization looks forward to continuing to be a champion of independent local arts and culture.
Through all its activities, I truly believe that PATTERN fills a gap not met by any other organization in this city. Mentorship, hands-on training, a dynamic professional network, exposure in a world-class publication, access to unique events are all keys to helping us mobilize and grow Indy’s Creative Economy. Not only are we training future leaders who are creative problem solvers, but we’re also helping put Indianapolis on the map as a city filled with incredibly talented creators.
– Polina Osherov, Executive Director, PATTERN