What if Indianapolis becomes the kind of city where the most talented people in the world want to live and work? PATTERN is as committed to growing such a place in 2019, as we were in 2010 when this organization came into existence. Our work has a distinct focus on projects at the intersection of creativity and economic impact. With your assistance, we’re helping the city change its narrative—the stories we tell ourselves, and the ones we share with the world.
Here’s a short glimpse of how our work unfolded in 2018:
- We launched two more issues of PATTERN magazine, vol. 13 (in partnership with Indiana Humanities) and vol. 14. At 180 pages, Vol. 14 was our biggest issue yet and covered Indy’s bustling arts scene. Both issues allowed us to tell over 50 stories about Central Indiana-based creatives.
- Vol. 12 and 13 of the magazine both won Gold and Judge’s Choice awards for magazine design at the prestigious Addy’s.
- We hosted two parties to celebrate the launch of each issue.
- We held our third Annual STREETExPO, a tradeshow for lifestyle brands based in Indianapolis and beyond. We had 20 vendors and over 300 people in attendance. This has become one of PATTERN’s signature events, in addition to our Launch parties, and we believe this event has the potential to showcase Indianapolis as the Midwest leader.
- We planned and hosted St’ArtUp317, a temporary pop-up initiative to bring together landlords with empty storefronts and small brands and artists. We successfully placed 15 different artists and businesses around the downtown area for 30 days in May. These installations resulted in collective exposure of the participating artists to over 100,000 people – citizens and visitors. The initiative was a partnership between PATTERN and Downtown Indy, Inc.
- We hosted two meetups bringing together more than 100 people for education and networking.
- Through our digital magazine and social media channels, we promoted and helped bring attention to over 250 different cultural events and creative entrepreneurs around Central Indiana.
- We hosted and mentored 12 interns.
- We launched the PATTERN Creative Fellowship Program and onboarded three part-time Fellows for extended, paid work experiences.
- We grew our Creative Services program which provides our partner clients with creative tools, and, as importantly, generates revenue for our organization while providing hands-on professional development opportunities for our Fellows and interns.
This year, we want to expand our programs so we can continue to:
- Strengthen the city by giving up and coming creatives a bigger platform for professional growth, exposure, opportunity, networking and mentoring.
- Cover the stories that show what a winsome place Indy is to live, work and visit.
- Give more interns and Fellows an opportunity to acquire advanced skills that bring them a competitive advantage in the local economy.
- Leverage PATTERN Magazine as a tool employers can use to attract new talent to our region.
- Accelerate the careers of local entrepreneurs through additional education, opportunities and support.
- Enlist more young people as star ambassadors to our city when we visit other markets.
As we prepare for another trip around the sun, we’re indebted to countless community partners, sponsors, foundations, volunteers, subscribers and individual donors. We give heartfelt thanks to Big Car, Downtown Indy, Inc., Bottleworks, Indiana Humanities Council, VisitIndy, Circle City Industrial Complex, and donors of space to do our work, The SpeakEasy and Buckingham Companies. Critical partners such as Eskenazi Health, Lilly Endowment Inc., Allen Whitehall Clowes Foundation, and Indiana Arts Commission have given us much needed financial support to further our goals.
For those of you who have supported us with a gift, thank you! For those of you who have become a subscriber, thank you! For those of you who have contributed to our print and digital publications with your time and talents, thank you! For those of you who’ve hung out with us at our launch parties and meetups, thank you! We love you all and are so, so, so grateful for you.
Thank you for supporting PATTERN!